Falafel fan I have not always been but I’ve been playing with lots of different variations lately. These have been one of the best. They’re great for a meat free Monday recipe and in trying to include more plant based recipes in your life.
Usually falafel comes fried but I’ve made these by baking them in the oven and they are so delicious.
They’re free of any flour, frying, or grease but they still have a great crunch on the outside, and are fluffy and full of flavor on the inside.
The yogurt dip tops everything off but you can easily have them without.
They’re also great to make ahead to freeze for a quick dinner in the evening, or perfect for a portable lunch.
Makes 16-20 falafel
For the falafel:
1 tin 400g chickpeas
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup cashews
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp black pepper
pinch of salt
handful of fresh parsley
4 tbsp sesame seeds
For the yogurt dip:
4 tbsp organic, full fat Greek yogurt (or plain coconut yogurt)
1 lime, juice and zest of
handful each fresh mint and parsley
drop of maple syrup (about ¼ tsp max)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. If you wish, lightly toast your nuts and seeds in a frying pan until fragrant and toasted. Add these to the food processor pulsing until you reach desired texture. Set aside.
- Add the carrots to the food processor and pulse. Rinse and drain the chickpeas, add alongside the carrots blending until combined.
- Add the nuts/seeds back in, garlic, egg, herbs, and spices making sure everything is blended until incorporated.
- Pour your sesame seeds into a shallow dish and taking tablespoons at a time of the mixture, form balls, then roll into the sesame seeds until covered. Pop these on a lined baking sheet continuing until all the mixture is gone.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Flip them over after the first 10 so they get evenly crispy on the outside.
- While the falafel is baking make your yogurt dip by adding the yogurt, lime juice and zest, fresh herbs, and seasoning to a small bowl and whisk together until combined. Serve with the falafel, warm from the oven.