Waffles for Christmas!
These are the perfect breakfast/brunch item to make over the holidays.
Before you think you’re increasing an already growing manic to-do list, these are actually really easy to make. Plus they have lots of sneaky ingredients that are good for you and no one will even know it.
For the skeptics who are weary of the green, you can tell them it’s food colouring and they’ll be none the wiser.
Enjoy these as they are, top them with fresh fruit such as pomegranate seeds or berries or even some of this delicious dairy-free ice cream!
Enjoy and Merry Christmas! x
Makes 8-10 waffles
2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 ½ tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp wheatgrass (I used Organic Burst)
1 big handful spinach
½ cup buckwheat flour
½ cup brown rice flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
- Using a hand blender, whisk together the egg whites until thick and fluffy. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and set aside.
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, coconut sugar, spinach, vanilla, and wheatgrass. Blend until smooth.
- Add the blender mix to the egg yolks and mix until combined. Add the flour. Add the coconut oil while whisking everything together.
- Fold in the egg whites making sure to carefully keep everything light and fluffy.
- Use waffle maker according to instructions, brushing the rest of the melted coconut oil before pouring in the batter.