A favourite day of mine is fast approaching this year: Shrove Tuesday (aka Pancake Day)
Last year, I shared a basic pancake recipe, one that could easily be added to or used as a base for some delicious toppings. This year, the base IS the best part.
I’ve been playing with some recipes to try to create a great tasting fluffy pancake that could also be made vegan for an all-inclusive recipe that anyone can enjoy. I challenge you to see if your friends and family notice it’s gluten free and dairy free too!
These are Red Velvet Pancakes made with raw cacao, maca, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and coconut milk. Don’t be scared off by the addition of chia seeds in place of an egg. These mighty little seeds are full of fibre, calcium, protein, and vitamins and minerals. They will provide your body with a healthy dose of omega-3’s as well. If you don’t have any, you can easily use an egg instead although you might even find that you prefer the vegan version even more!
1 small-medium beetroot
½ cup coconut milk
3 tbsp. hemp seeds
1 tbsp. ground chia seeds + 3 ½ tbsp. water (or 1 large egg)
1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
½ cup brown rice flour
3 tbsp. raw cacao powder
Pinch of sea salt
Optional: 1 tsp. maca (I love Organic Burst)
- Mix the ground chia seeds with the water and set aside to gel.
- In a blender, add the beetroot, coconut milk, vanilla, hemp seeds, maple syrup, and coconut oil until smooth (If you’re using an egg, add that into the large bowl as below, then add the ingredients from the blender)
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and whisk in the chia seed gel.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until everything is combined.
- Melt a little more coconut oil into a frying pan dropping spoonfuls of the pancake batter, a couple of tablespoons at a time. Cook on the first side until they begin to bubble and the edges firm up then flip them over for another minute or two.
- Serve with a knob of coconut oil, maple syrup, fresh fruit, or dairy-free ice cream!