This is an incredibly easy and simple dish to put together. It’s really quick to change up with what you have in your fridge or cupboards and it tastes really delicious! It’s a great way to up your serving of veggies into your day as well. I love to make this for lunch; it really keeps me going during the day and helps you to avoid feeling sluggish come the afternoon.
This version has a quick guacamole, roasted sweet potato, crispy cucumber, and quinoa with a fresh herb dressing. My favourite thing to add to this is a handful of roasted chickpeas.
1 small sweet potato
Handful of cherry or plum tomatoes
½ cup quinoa
1 cup filtered water
Fresh herbs- approx.. 1 cup worth, I used coriander, basil, and parsley
Juice of 1-2 lemons
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Optional: veggie stock to substitute the water; lime juice for the guacamole and/or herb dressing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add a knob of coconut oil to a baking tray and allow to melt in the oven. Peel the sweet potato (unless it’s organic, then leave the skin on) and chop into cubes. Add to the melted coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the quinoa well and add to a saucepan with the water or veggie stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 12-15 minutes. Don’t constantly stir, the quinoa cooks best when it’s left on its own so all is cooked evenly.
- Scoop the flesh from the avocado and add to a small bowl and mash. Dice the tomatoes and add to the bowl. Add lemon or lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop the cucumber into bite size pieces and set aside then make your herb dressing by adding the various herbs to a blender along with olive oil, the juice of a lemon, and a little water as needed. Blend the dressing until you have a consistency you like.
- Assemble the bowl: Remove the sweet potato from the oven and add to the bowl. Add the quinoa, the guacamole, and the chopped cucumber, and then finish everything off with a drizzling of the herb dressing.